Stretching is a great way to improve range of motion (ROM) by lengthening shortened muscles. It may also help prevent injuries and decrease muscle soreness when done before or after exercise.
- Always complete a warm-up session prior to stretching.
- Stretch until a mild tension is felt, then hold.
- All stretches should be held for 30-60 seconds
- Avoid stretches to the point where numbness or a tingling sensation is felt
- Focus on the stretch and avoid any distractions.
- Try to relax the muscles throughout the passive movement of the stretch, as this will help to alleviate any unnecessary tension within the muscle.
- Do not hold your breath, breathing freely helps you relax and get the best stretch.